Twelve months, eight issues, dozens of stories about the people, places and events that make the Southwest Metro such a special community. As we look back on 2019, we're reflecting on the stories you—our readers—loved most. These were the top 10 most-read stories on southwestmetromag.com last year—revisit them (or catch up on what you missed) and be sure to share your favorites on social media!
- Prep Elite: Holy Family Catholic High School's Kalie Dahl on the 'Ripple Effect of Helping Others'
Kalie Dahl leads others to help do good in school, church and the community.
- Eden Prairie's New Pizza Place Serves Up Socially Conscious Slices
Pizza Karma, a place that’s only been slinging pies since December 2018, has already won the hearts (and taste buds) of those who have stopped in for a bite.
- Chanhassen's Cafe Thyme Serves Up Global Comfort Food
Chanhassen’s new local eatery Café Thyme may feature “global comfort food,” but chef and owner Jessica Pettingill grew up eating and cooking typical Midwestern fare in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Chaska Teen Living "the LA Adventure" as Disney Channel Actress
Jenna Davis sings, dances and acts, and her LA adventure has led to a spot as a regular on the Disney Channel series Raven’s Home and the YouTube series Chicken Girls.
- Cookie Cups Come to Chanhassen
You can’t go wrong with a sweet mashup, so we’re excited to have The Cookie Cups at 600 Market St. in Chanhassen.
- Eden Prairie's Schooner Days Will Celebrate the Start of Summer
More than 10,000 attendees were treated to carnival rides, bingo, food, beer, music and softball and pickleball tournaments and more at Eden Prairie’s annual Schooner Days.
- Pretty Great Cheesecake Preparing to Take Over Twin Cities
Pretty Great Cheesecake owner Kurt Anderson is a firefighter, minister, bartender and, oh, he bakes, too.
- Prep Elite: How Eden Prairie High School's Ben Sather Learned to Be Selfless
Eden Prairie High School senior Ben Sather volunteers at church and local food shelves, as well as coaching a special needs flag football team.
- 'Gotta Keep Going': Star Tribune Sports Editor Documents Friend's Fight Against Alzheimer's
Mike Rowekamp was only 50 years old when the symptoms of Alzheimer's crept into his life. His childhood friend Paul Klauda is helping him hold onto his memories.
- This Waconia Bar & Bowling Alley Makes the Best Bloody Mary in the Twin Cities
Garage Bar & Bowl took home three awards from the Twin Cities Bloody Mary Festival, including best traditional bloody mary.