How much do you know about this Easter basket staple?
Come Easter, jelly beans get pulled to the front of the line. But how much do we know about this ubiquitous springtime sugary pod? We turned to Mobile-cuisine.com for some answers.
- The debut of the modern day jelly bean was given to Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
- A process called panning creates the harder outer shell while preserving the gooey center.
- National Jelly Bean Days are April 22 and July 24.
- No quick task, it takes 7-21 days to make a jelly bean.
- In the early 20th century, a man with no style or substance was called a jelly-bean.
- In the U.S., 16 billion jelly beans are made each year for Easter.
- For former President Ronald Reagan’s 1981 inauguration, 7,000 pounds of jelly beans were distributed.