Mark Halla from The Mustard Seed is excited about gardening–and education. That’s why he’s teamed up with area schools to welcome school groups through his garden and landscape business in Chaska. Students explore many areas of gardening and science while on their tour, but one of the highlights is the bee hives.
Here’s some fun facts Halla likes to share with the kids:
- A honeybee can fly approximately 15 miles per hour
- Honey is the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water
- Honeybees are a great scientific mystery because they have remained unchanged for 20 million years even though the world has changed around them
- A single honeybee will only produce approximately 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
- A honeybee will flap its wings about 11,400 times per minute, creating the “buzz” that you hear
- Honeybees are responsible for approximately 80 percent of all fruit, vegetable and seed crops in the U.S.
- Honey speeds the healing process and combats infections
- Honey never spoils
Check out the September issue of Southwest Metro Magazine (available Sept. 1 at southwestmetromag.com) to learn how other businesses are lending a hand and stepping back into the classroom this fall.