Abby Randall, chef and owner of The Tomato Vine in Eden Prairie, says this recipe for a hearty winter salad is proven to please a crowd. Randall’s meal delivery service specializes in healthy, organic options.
For the salad:
- 1½ cups broccoli florets + shredded stem
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1½ cups shredded cabbage (try mixing in some kohlrabi or celeriac)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice, cooled
- *Optional: 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon
For the dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. honey, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a large bowl until blended.
Add in broccoli, apples, cabbage, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and wild rice. Mix well and let stand for about 15 minutes to marinate ingredients. Stir well and adjust seasonings. Refrigerate up to 5 days.